finding your photographer soulmate

Finding your soulmate is hard guys. Actually, let me rephrase that. Finding your soulmate can be hard, but for some lucky souls, they get just that; lucky. I'm not sure which is harder; finding your partner, or finding your perfect fit wedding photographer. Both can be challenging, but in the end, it's always worth it. During my consults with potential couples, I get asked all the time; what makes you different than all the others; why should we pick you? Here's the thing, and this is my honest answer in person with all my couples. Once you meet them, you just know. Cliche? Absolutely! But I'm here to tell you (from both sides, speaking as a former bride and a wedding photographer) that finding your perfect photog is all based on the following 8 aspects. Check each of these and I can almost bet (I'll say 99.9% just to leave room for error so you can't blame me if you pick the wrong one) you've found your wedding photographer soulmate.

1:  Are they a good listener?
Sure, you want to get all of the information you can from them in terms of pricing, timelines and procedures, but the first thing I do is ask my couples questions before they get a chance to ask me any! I want to know all about your day; what are your colors, the style of your wedding, how big is your bridal party, when did you meet? This is your day and a great photographer recognizes that it's all about you two!


2: Do they have stellar communication skills?
Does it take them 3-5 business days to reply to your email? If it does, it shouldn't. My business is all about serving my clients in the best way possible. How I am I serving my clients well if I can't get back to them with a quick email in a few hours? The answer; I'm not! Ok, it's after 9:00PM, I'll wait until the morning, but guys; It never takes me more than like...5 hours to get back to any and all of my clients. Because today, who doesn't always have internet more than 2 feet away from them?

3: Do they make you feel comfortable?
Before I pull my camera out, my number one goal (besides that communication point up above) is to build a relationship with my clients so they feel like we've been friends for years. I get to know them and what they like. They also get to know me because then once I put you in front of my camera, those genuine laughs and good times play out in front of the lens and not stiff smiles or awkward poses. You gotta be able to grab a little cheek in front me (I'll let you choose which one).


4: Trust your vibes
Your gut is almost always right. If you feel like a red flag flies up right away during your conversations or you're getting the feeling like it may not be a fit; it likely isn't. First impressions are important and guys; trust me when I say, it sucks to hear a no, but we would rather hear a no than have you feel uncomfortable or not 100% on board with us!


5: Can you see yourself in their photos?
When you are looking at tons of portfolios online, you likely think to yourself...I don't look like any of these brides. OR, maybe you see a portfolio and instantly feel like you can insert your face into the shot and it would be your dream wedding photo. It's important to feel like you see yourself in your photographer's portfolio. Is it a match?

6: What is the style?
There are so many different photographer styles out there. Just like there are so many different styles of weddings. Does your photographer's style match your day that you are putting together? Do you go with a moody vibe or stick with bright and airy? Do you like muted color pallets or vibrant jewel tones? Make sure your photographer's style matches your day.


7: Are they encouraging of you?
It is so so so important to find a photographer that you feel like you can be yourselves with. Who wants awkward photos on their wedding day? Not I. Your wedding photographer should be able to direct you into poses that allow you to feel like your true love is being captured. Stuffy "smile and say cheese" is good for like, 2 shots, but having someone encourage you to truly let go and be yourself is key.

8: Can you trust them?
Do they possess the skillset, portfolio and expertise you feel is needed to capture one of the most important days of your life? Experience is important on a wedding day. You will want to make sure that your photographer is well equipped to handle whatever may come their way. This can include backup equipment in case a lens breaks during the cocktail hour or even knowing how to light a dark reception room when the DJ has the most awesome mood lighting. It's a given that duh, you want your photographer to know how to photograph, but TRUSTING that your photographer knows what they are doing and can handle your day is a huge relief off of your shoulders. After all, these are the only pieces of your wedding day you will have left when all is said and done.





I'll end this blog post by making a statement that I am polyamorous* (in business, not personally*) and acknowledge that I have many client soulmates out there. So please, if you feel like I just could be your photographer soulmate, send me a message and let's get this relationship going!


*Photo of me at computer by Alexandra Lee Photography


0 Comments

Contact Form (Do not remove it)

back to top